Thursday 24 November 2016

Research Dosier

Competitions
Blue cat: Blue cat is a screenwriting company which offers cash prizes to the winners of the screenplays sent through.



















London Independent film festival: LIF hold a screenplay competition every April to recognize the best upcoming screenwriting talent in the UK and the rest of the world.





















Out of the two I have picked I would much prefer 'Blue Cat' because I find it to be a much worthwhile competition because it offers cash prizes, it does not require an entry fee and it seems to be a well recognized screenwriting competition.

Ten Minute Shorts
Ticker: from a screenwriting perspective this short film is well written considering the story is condensed into 10 minutes I find that the subtle hints and use of flashbacks help us find out the mystery behind the suitcase and what contents are contained in it. The dialogue is not particularly great but I find that it does help the story progress along easier mostly through the use of flashbacks.The ending is also very stratifying with the reveal of what is actually inside of this particular case the main character is holding.

The Punisher: Dirty Laundry: This story in my opinion is well written it uses a lot of forms of tension to build up the eventual conclusion. It uses a three act structure and introduces 5 characters which all have massive involvement in the story and how it places out, from a writing perspective I find that it creates a perfect character development to character which has already been established in a previous film , he's a perfect three dimensional character we can tell is damaged and willing to die the right thing with a good cause.This film in the course of 10 minutes has managed to establish various characters


Themes

The main theme for the script is the message that there is a strong link between crime and poverty also how life is a random thing that at any moment life can turn upside down on its head and completely change forever, other themes I also looked into through characters and how life in poverty stricken places was 'Gang Culture' I did this by researching gang related incidents in my area and all around the UK, I developed even more ideas about this by watching films such as 'Kidulthood' Ill manors and 'Harry Brown'
I based my characters upon people who were involved in past incidents involved with gang culture, the main character was based off Connor Barrett who years ago who was stabbed at a house party in local village very close to mine, this is how I decided upon the setting of my film, even though the crime did not specifically take place in the local town which my script is based upon (Great Yarmouth) I decided to set the story their because it rather infamous for knife and gang crime, all the people I base my character off are based from people that live there also.



Audience Research
to find my age demographic for my script, I sent out a questionnaire which asked, 4 questions relating to age and if they were at all knowledgeable on interested in films or stories about gang culture. The feedback came back and a large majority of the people who did the survey were between the ages of 16-18 and were knowledgeable about gang culture and said they would be interested in seeing a film about local crimes from there area. which was the audience I had been looking for, this would mean the film would have to be made a 15 rated if this was my target audience.

Script examples 
First example of a script specifically for dialogue would be this extract from 'No country for old men' the conversation these two characters share, grips you waiting for what comes next because you get a sense that its chilguh is a manipulating this man and it makes you feel uncomfortable.





second example of a script which uses good scene direction would be the script for 'Drive' because it uses minimal dialogue the screen direction is perfect for this type of script.









I had also annotated a script to help me research on how to write a script in the right format and quality. This was from fargo






























Bibliography: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30847042,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYR-7vLU9s&t=23s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmqdNKQ3GRE
http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment